2016 – we’re so over you already!
So many injured hearts and hopes – the year took it all. This year has been particularly challenging for the feminists across the United States still trying to make sense of the political landscape awaiting us 2017 onwards.
Here’s an amazing quote that will keep us pushing to fight the good fight in the meantime!
Every woman that finally figured out her worth, has picked up her suitcases of pride and boarded a flight to freedom, which landed in the valley of change ― Shannon L. Alder
From the crisis in Syria, to Rio Olympics, to the Black Lives Matter Movement, to the Moon being closest to us since 1948 – we have seen so many faces of humanity this year. As we challenge ourselves to become better versions of ourselves in 2017, I wanted to share some things I learnt this year:
- Love does trump hate – Sometimes it just takes a bit longer to heal from the hate and get back to loving!
- Never apologize for taking care of yourself – This is especially true for women who take care of everyone around them before taking care of themselves. This is especially true for women who are caregivers for the children and families, who always put their world before themselves.
- It’s OK to say no…a lot and make time for yourself.
- It’s OK to end sucky relationships – It is important to purge relationships that aren’t working for you, so we can rebuild ones that really matter.
- Always rejoice the best you have in life – Human suffering is universal, yet it is important to remember how fortunate we all are – healthier, younger, happier and wealthier than so many across the world. So many less fortunate people would love to be in our shoes, and it’s not a blessing we should take for granted.
- Yes, there’s a special place in hell for women who don’t support other women – Let’s try and stand together ladies!
- Women indeed are amazingly sexy, overachievers and wonderful humans – We need to celebrate ourselves a lot more often than judging each other all the time
- Ladies, own your sexiness and say yes to red lipstick – Your partner will thank you for planting those red lips on him or her.
- Finally – strong and healthy is in – As it should have always been!
- Listen to your body – Pushing yourself harder when you’re already beat down and injured, won’t help you – let your body and mind heal. This again is especially true for women, who push themselves to the breaking point before they are forced to take a break.
- Stay true to yourself – Your values should only evolve with time, not regress.
- It’s even more exciting to be healthier at 70 than today – To build a healthier, happier self you have to eat clean, think and act clean, workout smart, sleep a lot and surround yourself with amazing people.
- Live an endlessly compassionate life – I have been trying to follow the Buddhist philosophy of doing one act of charity a day, such as sending a kind thought and speaking a kind word. Being kind and thoughtful isn’t always hard, it’s just a matter of being mindful.
- Forgive others, but first forgive yourself – Forgiving yourself is always the hardest thing to do. Letting go of our mistakes is easier said than done, but forgiving yourself is the only path to redemption and healing.
- Make hard decisions and learn to make peace with them
- It’s OK to slow down and breathe…a lot!
- Year in Pictures 2016 – by New York Times (RECOMMENDED)
- Year in Pictures 2016 – by BBC
- Is 2016 the worst year in history – by Slate
- Best Photos of 2016 – by Time